Wednesday, November 25, 2009

EVALUATION OF SUGAR

EVALUATION OF SUGAR

PART ONE: WHAT WE DID

1. Rate each of the following out of 5:
Guest speaker: Rosemary about Timor Leste 3.5/5
Guest speak: Joel about the xo 4/5
Physics 2.5/5
SVG icon and Linux command line 4/5
Turtle Art 2/5
Other activity evaluation 1/5
Etoys 4.5/5
Scratch 5/5

Now write about
Three things that you learnt:
My experience and time using Sugar, I have learnt many things such as how to use command lines and switching images within the Sugar. I have also learnt how to manipulate and create interesting activities using eToys. In addition, Turtle Art gave me an understanding of code-scripting and taught me how to use codes/scripts properly. I have learnt a lot from Sugar, to which, have made me mature progressively in my understanding and application of computing.

Three things that you enjoyed:
I have enjoyed hacking Sugar because it was fun to do and also boosted my knowledge in that area, no matter how significant. I also enjoyed using eToys and the Physics activity because they were fun to play with. Overall Sugar can be quite fun.

Three things that you didn’t like:
I didn’t like Sugar’s UI because it wasn’t appealing and was tiresome to use. I also didn’t like listening to the guest speakers because their speeches were long and somewhat boring. Lastly, I didn’t like blogging after every single activity because it always tired me out.

Is the xo or olpc a good idea for the children of the developing world? State your opinion and give reasons.
The XO and the OLPC is a good idea for the children of the developing world because they are low on resources. The XO is a laptop that is power efficient, low-cost, shatter-proof, and extremely durable with fun educational content, which is perfect for the rugged terrain in developing countries. The OLPC is a good initiative in giving XOs to help children of the developing country who are suffering from lack of education and sadly, fun itself.

PART TWO: USER INTERFACE


Complete a variety of labeled screenshots which illustrate the differences between these user interfaces.

Windows (WIMP – windows, icons, menus, pointers – as in MSOffice 2003)


Sugar (Frame replaces menubar, Journal replaces file system hierarchy, Community – didn’t work for us,)

Community Window.
Frame, Journal and etc.


Linux command line (similar to DOS)

Windows ( This new version does away with menus and toolbars and replaces them with new paradigms such as the Ribbon, Contextual Tabs, and Galleries)

Which user interface do you prefer. Rate them in order. Give reasons.
1. Windows (WIMP – windows, icons, menus, pointers – as in MSOffice 2003)
2. Windows (ribbons, contextual tabs, galleries – as in MSOffice 2007)
3. Sugar (Frame replaces menubar, Journal replaces file system hierarchy, Community – didn’t work for us,)
4.Linux command line (similar to DOS)

The reason that I made WIMP my first perference is because I love its layout and its simplicity, nearly anyone can use this easily. Another reason is that I grew up around WIMP and I feel comfortable using it than any other user interface.

I chose the Ribbon layout as a second preference simply because it is very similar to WIMP. Although it has areas where I like, such as the contextual tabs and galleries.

I chose the Sugar interface as my third perference because I have been using it throughout my time in my control technology class and without knowing it, I have grown quite fond of it.

Lastly, I chose the Linux command line as my last perference because it looks complicated and quite hard to use. Its interface is not appealing and I think it's more likely to be used by programmers and/or computer experts.

PART THREE: THE FUTURE
Have a look at this site which talks about the future of UI: http://nooface.net/
3D
immersive cave
small screen (iphone)
ZUI zooming user interface
multi touch
digital media you can wear

What will the UI look like when you are 30 years old?
DRAW AN ANNOTATED DIAGRAM USING YOUR IMAGINATION AND KNOWLEDGE

I believe in 15 years time, computers will be small enough to fit into an elastic band which, can project holographic images in front of the user. The holographic images can be felt, moved, tilted, panned, zoomed and resized. The holographic images show icons, windows, videos, music and about anything we can do today on our computers. The elastic band-like computers are portable and can be accessed just about anywhere. The computers can switch from any OS or use both at the same time depending on the user’s preference.

Here is a simple drawing of the above:


This is the last official blog I will do for this blogger account as it is the end of the school year. I've had fun writing these blogs and wish you all good luck in the future-good bye.

No comments:

Post a Comment